June 25, 2009

China's Got Talent

We were walking around Green Lake the other day, and about every 20 feet or so, there was a group of aspiring artists (some good, some not so good) playing their instruments, singing and even dancing to their heart's content. There were some incredibly beautiful tunes played by people who had obvious talent. Some of the women dancing were so elegant it was amazing to watch. But here and there, were some people who might have over-estimated their talents. However, they were out there, with their speakers set up and singing loud enough for the moon to hear. And though some of the sounds reminded me of the cries that one of our kittens makes when they are stuck under the deck, I just had to respect them for trying. And you know what, they were happy - smiling widely as they belted out crazy notes, strummed the wrong chord and forgot lyrics. I was humbled at the joy these people were finding just giving it a shot. It didn't appear to me that anyone was nervous, or wondering what people were thinking of them...they were just finding true creative freedom in music, dance & song. What a beautiful thing.

1 comment:

Bri said...

How true.
I would also like to point out how much I loved the phrase, "one of our kittens." I just love picturing that one.