July 23, 2009

head out on the highway...

Yesterday I sat in the passenger seat of my friend’s car cramming furiously for a drivers test that I just failed the day before even though I have been driving for nearly 20 years. The irony was looking up from my study guide to see hundreds…thousands of cars skippered by Chinese people with a year or two of driving experience, swerving down the highway, careening to the shoulder and avoiding near misses as they stared at the sky to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse.

There is a happy ending here…I passed on my second attempt with a solid 97. Today, I rejoice in solidarity with all of the 16 year-old Americans who can say with newfound swagger…“I got my license”.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

way to goo!! i bet your mom and dad are so proud of you:) those chinese roads are probably a safer place with you on them.

Jason said...

Congrats on the DL! And...nice use of the words "skippered" and "swagger"!

I love reading your posts. Thanks for the great stories...I hope to experience some of these stories personally soon.

Jason

Denise said...

COngratulations! Just don't hit any donkeys!!

Chris said...

Nicely done. I hope you are enjoying your new found freedom.

I love that last post by Denise about not hitting any donkey's. Never mind people... just watch out for those precious pack mulls!

Jeremy said...

Congrats, but I don't think I would drive with you yet! 16 year old drivers are scary!