April 17, 2009

pack less. be more.

This is a tagline for a backpacking company that encourages their people to travel light. I'm hoping to carry this 'lightweight' slogan into my life in the next month as we begin packing for our year in China. Lots of people have been asking me what I'll bring with me, and what I will leave here. My answer to this question mostly comes from the attitudes and expectations I will leave behind, rather than deciding between my black heels or black flip flops. I happily invite simplicity into my plans for moving. I scrutinize the word 'need' and what it really means to me. I actually anticipate the challenges of my life over there because I'm forced to discover so many new and amazing ways to live...sans all the 'stuff'. I continue to remind myself of the reasons we are moving...and that alone helps me re-focus on what truly needs to fit into my suitcase.

Having said that, I still might pack a pair of heels for good measure ;)

4 comments:

Denise said...

A philosophy we should all thoughtfully consider whether we are literally packing to move or not.... Thanks for sharing.

Aaron Smith said...

Ultralight is the way to go.

Unknown said...

1 solid pair of black heels is good to pack:)

Jeremy said...

Don't forget the Piano!